Counseling Center Frequently Asked Questions | Langston University

Counseling Center Frequently Asked Questions

Counseling Center Frequently Asked Questions

What services do you offer? 
We offer both individual, couples and group counseling to assist students in dealing with a variety of psychological concerns including depression, academic difficulties, relationship matters, anxiety, eating disorders, identity confusion, grief/loss, and family issues, among other things. Other services include crisis intervention, consultation, workshops and educational programs, online resources, suicide prevention, and mental health promotion programs. 

Where is your office?
The Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the University Women Building, Rooms 110 and 111.

What are the hours of operation? 
The Counseling Center is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. 

Are there any costs for services?
There are no additional fees for counseling or related services. 

Are there limits to the number of counseling sessions?
There are no session limits as long as you are an enrolled student at Langston University. Referrals to the community are made for students with mental health needs that surpass what can be offered through the Counseling Center

How do I schedule an appointment?
Appointments can be made by phone by calling (405) 466-3400. Students can also stop by the Counseling Center, University Women Building, Room 110 and 111, to complete some initial paperwork and schedule the appointment. The student and counselor will determine subsequent meeting times at the end of the initial session. 

What do I do in case of an emergency? 
Students in crisis during office hours may be seen on a walk-in basis. Calling ahead to notify counseling staff will expedite getting in to see a counselor. After hours, students can access the Call SAM Helpline at (855) 225-2726 to speak with a counselor by phone. For immediate emergencies, contact the LU Police at (405) 466-3366 or dial 911. 

How do I get help for a friend? 
While we encourage you to seek counseling as an individual decision, the Counseling Center staff can provide consultations to family and friends who may be concerned about the mental health and behavior of a fellow student. Consultations are available by phone or appointment. 

May friends or family schedule an appointment for someone other than themselves?
Students seeking counseling services must schedule their own appointments. Parents may call the counseling center staff to inquire about the various services available to students.

How do I receive medication?
The Counseling Center does not provide prescription services. However, Counseling Center staff work closely with other healthcare providers who may assist with a medication evaluation. More complex symptoms may require psychiatric services from a provider in the community. 

May parents be notified of appointments and other treatment services for their child/student?
Parents of minor children (younger than 18) have certain rights to information and consent for treatment. All contacts with adult students and information obtained in the course of treatment is confidential. No information will be released without the written authorization from the student, except in the rare cases of imminent danger or as required by law when there is a suspicion of child abuse, elder abuse or a court order. While information is not released outside of the Counseling Center without written permission, staff may consult with each other in order to improve the quality of services. 

Is group therapy offered?
Yes, a group session is often the preferred mode of counseling by students because it allows them to share similar concerns and feel supported by others in a safe environment. At the same time, they can learn effective communication skills and enhance interpersonal relationships. 

Are there any online resources available to students and their families, faculty and staff?
Yes, online resources are available by visiting the Counseling Center website. Online resources address topics including but not limited to mental health disorders, study skills and wellness.


If you are a student in crisis, an on-call counselor is available in University Women 110 or 111 or by phone (405) 466-3400, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., weekdays. After hours counselors are available by phone through a resource named Call SAM at (855) 225-2726 or by contacting the Langston University Police at (405) 466-3366 or 911.