Applying for Aid | Langston University

Applying for Aid

Applying for Aid

Overview of the Financial Aid Process

Completing the FAFSA The financial aid process begins with the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is the application which Langston University uses to determine eligibility for federal, state, and institutional awards such as loans, grants, and work-study. The best way to fill out the FAFSA is on-line, at FAFSA on the Web. This is best done by January 2nd prior to fall semester but can be completed at later times if needed. However, early application ensures the best opportunity for assistance. Other paperwork may be needed if required by the federal government or for institutional purposes. Learn more about the Financial Aid Process.

Dependent vs. Independent

The federal government has established criteria for classifying financial aid recipients as dependent or independent. If you are dependent (not self-supporting according to federal criteria), your parents' assets and income as well as your own are considered when determining your financial need. If you are independent, your need is evaluated solely on your own and your spouse's income and assets. If you think you have extenuating circumstances that would exempt you from including parental information, contact a Financial Aid Counselor.Note that the government does not weigh in factors, such as:

  • Parents do not financially support you
  • Parents do not claim you as a tax exemption
  • You do not live with your parents
  • You live with other family or friends who pay for your needs

These items alone do not make you an independent student for financial aid purposes. If you have questions, come speak with the counseling staff in the Student Success Center.

Monitor Your FAFSA Status

Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you will receive an email from The U.S. Department of Education confirming that your FAFSA was received and will be forwarded to Langston University. The most effective way to determine if the University received your FAFSA is to monitor (SIS). If you are an incoming student, your FAFSA status can be found by viewing Student Information Services (SIS) or log-onto the online FAFSA account. All U.S. citizens and permanent residents with proper documentation are eligible to apply with the FAFSA. (In certain cases, students who are residents of Oklahoma but not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may qualify for aid. Please contact our office for further guidance.) As long as such a student is enrolled at least half-time (usually 6 hours in a long term for most undergraduate and graduate students) and is in a degree-seeking program, they will be eligible for some financial aid, based on their FAFSA. Receiving Notification of AwardsOnce Langston University has received a student’s FAFSA information and submitted any required verification documents, we will offer the student awards by sending a Financial Aid Notification (Fan). Since e-mail is the official mode of correspondence at the University you can also view this information in Student Information Systems (SIS). On (SIS), the student can view their awards and then respond - i.e. they can accept or decline the awards offered, or reduce the amounts of loans offered online.

Completing Requirements

Other than applying with the FAFSA and responding to the FAN, students must sometimes complete other program-specific requirements to receive their financial aid. Certain scholarship programs require that a thank-you letter be sent to us before the scholarship can release. Loan programs require that promissory notes be signed, loan entrance counseling be completed, or (sometimes) that a separate loan application be filled out.

Receiving Aid

As long as all these further requirements have been met, Langston University will be able to release funds to the student - usually a few days before classes begin. Financial aid funds go to pay university debt (such as tuition and fees owed, or housing payments that are currently due) first, and then any excess funds are sent to the student.

How Aid is Determined

Cost of Attendance We assign you a standard budget (cost of attendance) based upon the costs associated with going to school for all students in your category. Expected Family Contribution The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount the federal government says you and your family should pay toward your education and living expenses, based on your FAFSA information. If you are a dependent student, the EFC is based on your parents' income as well as your own. If you are independent, the EFC is based only on your household income. The federal government calculates your EFC and it is not something Langston University can change directly. Financial NeedYour financial need is the difference between your Budget and your EFC. (Budget - EFC = Financial Need) A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for FSA funds. The student self-certifies in applying for aid on the FAFSA that he is eligible. Convictions only count if an offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student received Title IV financial aid and do not count if received when the student was a juvenile, unless tried as an adult.

How to Lose to Delay Aid

Not returning your promissory note To accept a loan, you have to complete the promissory note online for the loan you choose within 30 days. If you don't, the loan will be canceled with no money flow. In order for your loans to be reinstated you must first complete the required documents and submit your request in writing. Failing to make Satisfactory Academic Progress We check your grades and course completion rate after the spring semester (unless you are on financial aid probation, appeal or suspension - then your status is checked after every semester). If you stop meeting the satisfactory academic progress requirements, you are no longer eligible to receive aid while attending Langston University. You can appeal for reconsideration if this occurs, but it is much better if you can maintain the progress toward your degree completion as expected. Dropping Classes If you drop any classes, you could lose eligibility for private scholarships you've received. Check with the donor about their rules on this. Dropping courses may also affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress pass rate. Dropping more than a third of your hours enrolled could prove to be very detrimental to your aid eligibility. Enrollment changes made prior to the tenth day of the semester directly affects your aid eligibility for that term. Confirm the impact of part-time enrollment with the Office of Student Financial Service beforehand. Withdraw from schoolIf you completely withdraw after receiving aid for the semester, the federal government will want much (if not all) of its money back. Federal awards include Pell and SEOG grants and federal Stafford Loans. We will return the appropriate funds already applied to university charges. You will have to return any money you received, such as your refund check, plus all funds that Langston University has to return on your behalf. The amount to be repaid will depend on your withdrawal date. The later you withdraw, the lower the amount you have to pay back. After the 60 percent point in a semester, no immediate payback is due, but the withdrawal still significantly affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress pass rate. We want to see you succeed here at Langston University. If you must withdraw from school, speak to a Student Financial Aid Counselor beforehand to determine the impact and your best course of action.

Summer Financial Aid

Langston University recognizes the summer term as the end of the academic award year. To apply for summer assistance, you must complete the Summer Aid Request form along with the current year FAFSA. For federal financial aid eligibility purposes, for undergraduates full-time is 12 hours or more, three-quarter time is 9-11 hours, and half-time is 6-8 hours. For graduate students, fulltime is 9 or more hours, and halftime is 5-8 hrs. You should be aware that in order to receive consideration for the Federal Direct Student Loan programs, you must be enrolled at least halftime. If you have already borrowed the maximum annual loan limit for your grade level during the fall and spring whether at L. U. or another school, your loan eligibility may be limited to a credit based alternative loan, or a Parent PLUS loan if eligibility remains. Summer aid request for students who were issued a Financial Aid Warning status for spring 2019 will not be reviewed until after spring 2019 grades have been posted and reviewed.> YEAR AROUND PELL ELIGIBILITY: Students who are Pell eligible and have received full-time Pell for both the Fall & Spring terms may be eligible for Summer Pell if enrolling in at least 6 credit hours.  Interested students should contact their financial aid counselor for more information

Summer Aid Request Form