ABOUT LANGSTON UNIVERSITY
Langston University, a land grant historically Black institution of higher learning, will continue its rich tradition of developing leaders from a diverse, multi-cultural student body through excellent teaching, research, community service and public and private sector partnerships. As Langston University moves from Excellence to Greatness, it will be recognized for providing solutions to problems facing underserved populations in Oklahoma, the nation, and the world.
Founded as Oklahoma’s only historically black college or university (HBCU), Langston University is dedicated to enhancing the intellectual, social and economic condition of the students it serves by affording them excellent teaching, research and services programs and opportunities.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
- Langston University enhances the lives of diverse learners at all levels of society in a nurturing environment with dynamic teaching, relevant research, community service and opportunities which produce leaders and professionally competent graduates.
- The university provides access to a population of culturally diverse learners from all levels of society who demonstrate a desire to pursue higher education in an environment where knowledge is extended to the global marketplace.
- The university serves the state of Oklahoma, nation and the world through its programs of distinction, scholarly activities, student-centered campuses, community involvement and international scientific research. We emphasize the use of education to develop innovative solutions to improve the quality of life of underserved populations in urban and rural communities globally. As a state institution with a global impact, we strive not only to increase the supply of well-educated and skilled labor and to foster economic development in Oklahoma, but also throughout the world.
- Strong work ethic and dedication – We are united in our dedication to working as hard and as long as necessary in order to realize our vision of developing creative solutions to the problems facing underserved populations in Oklahoma, the nation and the world.
- Passion for learning – Our zeal for knowledge, our quest to understand “why” and our desire to develop innovative answers create a vibrant academic community.
- Courage to have exemplary character – We are building a community in which high ethical and moral standards are maintained and valued by our faculty, staff and students.
- Excellence – We value, treasure and reward excellence in scholarship, teaching and community service.
- Scholarly innovation and a commitment to scholarship – We are a community of pragmatic intellectuals, using our knowledge to better our state, nation and the world.
- Appreciation of difference – We believe firmly that everyone must be respected, and that there is always more than one way to consider any issue. We value diversity of opinions, ideas, ideals, cultures, and perspectives.
- Fiscal accountability – We believe that solid fiscal management is the foundation upon which a great university is built.
- Social responsibility – We believe that knowledge is a gift which must be used to create a better world.
- Commitment to fundamental human rights – Above all, we value the right of every human being to enjoy freedom, respect and the opportunity to realize his or her potential.